Writing Reboot Camp K-5: A One Day Class that Brings Back the Joy to Teaching Writing – Barry Lane
November 20 @ 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Have you lost your passion for teaching writing, or not found it yet? Has writing become more of a predictable performance and less of an art? Do your students groan when it’s time to write because they see writing as filling in simple outlines or following prescribed formulas or mentor texts instead of discovering their own unique voices? Do students see elaboration as just adding more stuff because they are supposed to?
In this class, we will learn ways to create a class of real writers who elaborate on their ideas and craft real meaning in whatever genre they write. Whether your school uses a writing program or not this writing workshop will breathe new life into your teaching and show you how to be the leader of your own writer’s workshop.
- Question Notebooks
- Creating a Question Culture in an Answer World
- Multi-modal Literacies (Video/Audio/PowerPoint)
- The Art of Wacky We-search (humor writing in content areas)
- Classroom Blogs
- Exploratory Writing and Written Conversation
- Poetry Across the Curriculum
- Teaching Synthetic Writing, Not Just Regurgitation
- The Difference Between Elaboration and Just Adding Stuff